Sebaceous glands are the microscopic exocrine glands present all over your skin except palms of your hand and soles of your feet. They produce an oily/waxy matter called sebum which helps in hydrating your skin. The excess secretion of sebum leads to more blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and acne flare-ups.
People with oily skin tend to have more oil secretion on nose, forehead, cheeks, and chin. Today I will be mentioning below some tips and hacks for oily skin. Hope so, These beauty tips for oily skin are very helpful.
1. Oily skin needs to be hydrated.
There is a common misconception in people that oily skin doesn’t need to be hydrated. Hydrating in means of drinking more water or using moisturizer to hydrate your skin, oily skin or any skin type, you need both means of hydrating.
Drink 8 glasses of water every day. When our body doesn’t get the essential nutrients and hydration it starts producing more sebum to compensate for the lack of moisture. Wash your face twice daily and avoid any harsh soaps instead use a gentle one such as glycerin soaps.
2. Try using blotting paper.
Blotting paper is your best friend if you have oily skin. It helps in taking out the excess oil without drying out your skin. Blotting paper can be used after makeup to absorb unwanted shine and grease on your skin.
It can also be used to clean your phone screen because that’s the place where most of the oil and makeup.
3. Proper skin care routine is the most important.
Look for skin care products suitable for oily skin and with the label of noncom do genic nature which refers to a product that doesn’t clog pores.
Foaming faces wash or gel face wash are the best choice for oily skin. Face wash can also be used to get rid of makeup easily without rubbing harshly. The sulfate-free face wash is hydrating and refreshing for your skin. Gently massage your cleanser and wash it off with warm water, not hot water which causes even more dryness, at the end tap dry face with clean towel.
Most people think that applying toner is an added step to daily skin care routine which is totally unnecessary. That’s not the truth at all, after using a facial cleanser or face wash skin should not be left bare for even 60 seconds.
Chlorine, salts, minerals, and chemicals are added to water to make it safe for drinking and bathing. Serum acts as a barrier on your skin to protect it from harsh chemicals. When left damp on the skin, it gives skin a drink of moisture. Always use alcohol-free toner because toners with alcohol are very high in pH and drying.
Oily skin also needs to be moisturized just like any other skin type. Get an oil-free moisturizer from any nearby drug store. Applying serum or moisturizer on damp toner locks the moisture in your epidermal layer of skin. Using moisturizer doesn’t block your skin pores or prevent breathing of your skin, like most people, unfortunately, believe in.
Add a multivitamin or any serum/cream with vitamin C and vitamin E. Vitamin C is notoriously unstable in light and air, so it’s better restored in dark opaque bottles. Vitamins give a glowing and fresh look to your skin. They stop early aging and wrinkles. Sprinkle a few drops in your palm and gently massage it on your face.
End your daily skin care routine with sunscreen at day and with night cream or eye cream at night. Sunscreen blocks harmful rays to destroy cells of your skin. While night cream helps skin breathes and even out its tone at night. Night cream reduces blemishes and wrinkles. Sunscreen/night cream a very important tip included in the beauty tips for oily skin.
4. Eat a proper diet.
Having oily skin is a battle hard to win the only way to win is by eating the right foods. Not all oily foods are harmful to your skin oils like omega-3 fatty acids are helpful as they flush out toxins. Similarly, all nonoily foods are not good for the skin.
- Citrus fruits like orange, lime, grapefruit, pineapple are rich in vitamin C, which helps in getting rid of toxins and hydrating skin from inside. Green vegetables, pulses, and salads are a must in the proper diet to avoid excess oil usage.
- Oily foods like fried chips or deep fried meals make your skin more oily. Dairy products should also be used in limits if you have very oily skin, only low fat yogurt can be helpful. Chocolate which is sweetened is not suitable.
5. Exfoliate every week.
Exfoliation reduces the harmful effects of clogged pores by getting rid of dead cells, blackheads, and whiteheads. Just by gently scrubbing every week, your skin will balance its oil secretion and get a glowing look.
Never scrub harshly it may lead to even more breakouts. Having steam before scrub can do wonders for you. Apply toner or moisturizer to close the pores. Exfoliation reduces acne and break-outs.
Face masks are a must every two weeks.
Face masks have a tendency to eliminate dirt and blackheads or whiteheads from the skin. Homemade face masks might not suit some people but they are super easy to make and affordable as well. Mentioned below are the best homemade masks with their benefits and methods.
Honey has antibacterial and antiseptic abilities which make it a must ingredient in face masks. It is a natural humectant, which means it reduces a loss of moisture, without being oily. To treat oily or acne-prone skin, apply a thin layer of honey, preferably raw onto your face. Let it dry for 10 minutes, and then wash face with warm water.
- Cosmetic clay: Cosmetic clay also known as healing clay, are famous to treat any skin type. They help absorb oil from the skin. French green clay is well known for its treatment of oily skin and acne problems, it comes in powdered form.
To make easy French green clay mask:
- Add filtered water or rose water to one teaspoon of clay to make a pudding-like consistency.
- Apply onto face and leave it until it dries, then wash it off with warm water and pat dry.
3. Clay masks removed with water are much gentler than peel-off masks.
Aloe Vera is a natural astringent, which means it stops break-outs and locks the moisture in the skin. It helps in soothing burns and other skin conditions. There’s good scientific evidence that it helps in treating flaky skin caused by oily patches.
It’s best for oily skin but it might be harsh on sensitive skin, so if haven’t tried it before, apply little amount on your forearm. If there is no allergic reaction within 24-48 hours, you can use it without hesitation. Aloe Vera works best with lemon juice, both have astringent nature. Apply a thin layer on the face for at least 8 hours better if applied overnight.
Ground almonds are very effective to sop up excess oil and impurities from the face. Almonds can be used as face scrubs and face masks as well. Don’t try any of these if you have a nut allergy. To make almond scrub:
- Grind raw almonds into a fine powder to make 3 teaspoons.
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw honey, mix well.
- Gently exfoliate in circular motions
- Wash your face and pat dry.
To make almond face mask:
- Grind the almonds to make a paste before adding honey.
- Apply on the face evenly let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
Egg and lemons:
- Egg whites and lemons are a folk remedy for oily skin as they are thought to tighten pores. The acid present in lemon and other citrus fruits helps eliminate oil. According to research in 2008, lemon also has antibacterial abilities. This face mask is not good for people with egg allergies.
To make an egg white and lemon mask:
- Mix one egg white with one teaspoon of freshly-squeezed lemon juice.
- Apply on face and let it dry.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
Tomatoes have salicylic acid, which is a good acne remedy. It helps control oil secretion and unclogs pores.
To make a spa-worthy tomato mask:
- Add one teaspoon of sugar in the pulp of one tomato and mix well.
- Apply on face and let dry.
- Wash face with warm water and pat dry.
You can use tomato pulp alone or tomato slices instead.
Oatmeal also helps calm inflamed skin and absorbs excess oil. It also exfoliates dead skin cells. When used in facial masks on face oatmeal is usually ground. Oatmeal can be mixed with yogurt, honey or mashed fruits like banana, apple, and papaya.
To make an oatmeal mask:
- Combine ½ cup ground oats with hot water to form a paste.
- Add one tablespoon of honey.
- Gently massage the mixture on face for three minutes, then rinse it off and pat dry.
- Alternatively, you can apply the oats mixture and let it dry for 10-15 minutes, then wash it off with warm water and pat dry.